Sleepless in IIM-A

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Pro(b)logue

It has been a fascinating life till now.

And chances are, its only gonna get better. I am a day away from boarding the train to Ahmedabad, and three days away from formally registering to the PGP programmme of IIM-Ahmedabad.

At this precise moment, in a fit of introspection and deep thought, after having delegated the packing work to my mom and dad, I've decided to give shape to my latest idea. To completely record my adventures and misadventures at IIM-A; right from day one. I have no idea as to what purpose this would serve, but for a change, I decided not to think about the benefits before I begin something. (I am not being completely honest here. I do have a few vague ideas about what I'd do with such a piece of literature ;) )

I've named this blog 'Sleepless in IIM-A' in expectation of long hours there in Ahmedabad. We'd know in course of time, if this nomenclature proves right. :)

The road to IIM-A (the metaphorical road, I mean), has been very interesting. A part of it has been captured in my blog on my stay in Hyderabad, (Do go through "LMAO - Laugh My Ass Off !!!" - http://oka356.blogspot.com) and hence I wouldnt talk about CAT and my GD/PIs here. I would rather begin from the time I left Oracle.

On 31st May, 2005, when I was running around here and there between the different Oracle buildings, getting those crucial signatures which would get me the relieving certificate, Pratik called me up and asked me what I wanted as a farewell gift from the team. Frankly, he was disappointed that I was getting anything at all.

"Are you expecting anything as a farewell gift ?" he had asked me a day earlier as he had quite often in the past.

"No. How can I ever expect anything from a team which has you in it."

"Good. But I am afraid we wont be able to live up to your expectations."

"Live 'up' ? Hmm, but why ?"

"Ramesh has asked me to think of a gift for you."

Now, on the phone, he asked me if a laptop case was okay. Trust me, I was quite shocked. Because this was by far the only sensible thought he has ever had in his whole life. Before he could take my shocked silence for a no, I hurriedly said that it was a great idea, and that I'd love it.

A week earlier I had placed an order for a Dell laptop, and given the address of one of my friends in US as the shipping address. To pay for the laptop, I woke up one other friend and asked him if he could pay. I still think Avin was too sleepy to realise what was happening. Unwittingly he gave me his debit card details. And voila ! A Dell laptop was paid for ! As was a digital camera, a scanner, a printer, an ipod mini, and... okay kidding, Avin - just the laptop.

My little sister Priya and I collected the laptop at the airport from the girl who was returning home from the US. It was a funny experience, especially for Priya, as the girl's dad who was waiting at the airport kept saying "very good" for everything I said.

"Hi Uncle, I'm [beep] (I say my name here). Your daughter is getting a laptop for me from the US"

"Oh, very good, very good" he said. "Are they cheaper in the US ?"

"Yeah. Very." I said. "By the way, this is my sister."

"Very good, very good. I'm Dr. Ravindran."

"Very good, very good." I said.

His daughter was quite nice, a bit pretty too, I thought. But she appeared extremely confused. I introduced myself to her as soon as she came out, and she blinked at me a couple of times. I had to go on and tell her that I had come for the laptop.

And there in that dim place outside the airport, lit dully by the nearby lights, appeared my laptop out of her bag, its metallic silver exterior shining brilliantly.

Thoroughly captivated by my new possession, I thanked her profusely and headed home in a trance.

Since then I have been thinking of an exotic name for my laptop.

A bit hesitatingly I decided on Neo. Preethi said it was too common a name. Mohan remarked that I chose the name because its close to the nigger. (Maybe he meant Morpheus and made a indirect reference to my sexy, dark skin which is perpetually a source of ridicule). Matters came to a close when Pratik remarked that it makes me what he always suspected I was - a gay bastard. I decided to think of an exotic feminine name.

I've been considering various names for my little baby. Trinity, Mercedes, Miranda, Soleil, Esmerelda etc etc. Do feel free to drop in your suggestions. And keep reading. :)

16 Comments:

  • hey can u tell me for how much u got the laptop for

    By Blogger Alaknanda, at 9:04 PM  

  • 33.5k =~ $769

    By Blogger Oka the irrepressible, at 10:09 PM  

  • hey oka! ssup??
    best wishes for ur program at IIMA...i really think the idea u have in ur mind about wat ull be doin with these blogs is an awesome idea!!! carry it on well!
    and for the names, u cud call it bambino (meaning 'baby' in italian) orrr miele (meaning honey)

    ehhh....ill think abt it for a lill while longer!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:45 AM  

  • how about muniyamma ;). Used to read your other blog. Very funny man.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 AM  

  • How about "Desiderata"--something desired as a necessity.

    Here's wishing you all the very best as you set out on a whole new journey.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

  • "Basanti" - there's no other go man.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 AM  

  • name it "DesiBaba"........

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 PM  

  • ayya vannakum,pudoo ooru eppadi irruku?enjoy panaringla?nalla padinga,side'le gujal's seyinga seriya :) unga pudu figureĆ­ku "precious" kupudlame namba gollum madri ;)ennae solringa?nal valtukal!
    ungal,vadivel!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:06 AM  

  • This, I am sure will make interesting reading. Good luck with B-school.

    By Blogger The Tobacconist, at 11:02 AM  

  • Thanks for all your suggestions !
    I'm ready with the next post, but currently lack the net login, and time.
    Phew... this place is scary. I cant shake the feeling that in the next few weeks I'd gallop towards insanity !

    By Blogger Oka the irrepressible, at 1:50 PM  

  • u can name it Lavanya... remember those fond days!!!!....anyways love reading ur blogs.. keep writing..

    By Blogger NeoBhavin, at 11:33 PM  

  • Shit..I missed ur blog ! M outta my mind..

    By Blogger Pratik, at 2:21 PM  

  • Oracle? Which group? I was in Ora Apps (BLR), over 5 years ago!

    By Blogger Balakumar, at 6:04 AM  

  • wy dnt u name it CIRCUIT......m i rght munna bhai...bole to enjoy in iim-a

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:03 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:22 AM  

  • Huh! Reminds me of similar chores I went through before joining IIMA. I had to literally slog for getting a relieving letter and yeah - I ordered the laptop from a friend from the US. But he was kind enough to hand it over to my relatives in the Hyderabad.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home